Quality Winning Principle 1
Assessment prior to admission: Emergency and urgent patients should be assessed prior to the decision to admit. Admissions should be the exception not the norm.
Tried and tested approaches have successfully supported the above principles and realised the following benefits:
- Aversion of inappropriate emergency and urgent admissions
- Improved clinical decision making and assessment
- Proactive length of stay management.
- Getting the patient onto the right pathway first time.
- Reductions in length of stay and re-admissions
- Enabled improvements in supporting patient choice and preferred place of care.
Shaping the Levels of Ambition: Lung & Urology Urgent and Emergency Care Workshop
10 March 2011
Shaping the direction of Emergency/Urgent Care for Cancer Patients; 2nd Emergency Consensus Meeting
17 May 2010
Shaping the Emergency Pathway for Cancer Patients; 1st Emergency Consensus Meeting
9 February 2010
Winning Principle 1: Case Studies